After my post yesterday, it spurred on a conversation between my husband and I about that said holiday and moments we remember and fondly hold close to our heart. Not surprisingly we spoke about other meals that were amazing and delighted in enjoying.
We arrived in Italy in the middle of summer of '05. It was hot and I mean scorching hot and we were staying with my husbands Aunt and Uncle (Zia and Zio) who live in Rome, around the corner from Vatican City. Right on our door step were the most amazing shops, including places to buy una bella gelato. We were in Rome for two weeks. In that time I consumed 53 gelato's with a record of 6 in one day! I know! How greedy is that... so it figures that 6kgs of extra weight followed me around for the rest of the holiday!!!
Ok, so it's not gelato from Rome, but i never thought I'd have a go at making ice-cream, and the fact that you can make this creamy delicious without an ice-cream maker makes it easy and it is really really good....go on...try it!
1 cup caster sugar
4 cups of thickened cream
3 tsp vanilla extract
6 passionfruits, halved, pulp removed (or just use a tin of passionfruit pulp)
1. Place sugar and half of the cream in a saucepan and stir with wooden spoon over low heat for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in remaining cream and vanilla.
2. Line base and sides of loaf dish with cling film allowing it to overhang. Pour in mixture, fold over cling wrap and freeze for 3-4 hours.
3. Use a spoon to break up the mixture if it has started to set and tip in a food processor. process until smooth
4. pour mixture back into the dish (no cling wrap needed this time). Stir in passionfruit. Cover top with cling film and freeze for a further 2-3 hours or until set.
5. Serve in scoops or slices.
This is so easy and pretty impressive if you have dinner guests (or just the kids) that I'll link this up with Emma's weekly easy meal ideas (ok, it's not a meal, but i just have to share!)