Monday, March 7
I already made a few meals from this cookbook and I thought I would start sharing some of the recipes with you - hence the title of this post is Brenda Does (instead of Jamie) becuase, well, this is how I did it!...
Chicken Kebabs with Avocado Dip & Carrot and Orange Salad.
This is a combination of two recipes in the Morocco section. I loved the sound of the Chicken Kebabs with Avocado Dip, but thought the extra salad would be a nice accompaniment as well. My favourite was the avocado dip - with the extra ingredients it was so delicious it was hard not to grab some crackers and eat the whole bowl before dinner!
Here is what you need for four serves. I know it seems like a lot, but really it's just about combining all the ingredients for each component - that's it.
- 500g Chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces.
- Flat bread or turkish bread (we used our homemade turkish bread)
- 1 lemon
For the marinade
- 1 tbs hot or sweet paprika (i used sweet)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tbs olive oil
s + p
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fresh green or red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- small bunch of coriander, finely chopped.
- 2 tbs olive oil
-juice of 1 lemon
Carrot & orange salad
- 4 small carrots, peeled and shredded (I used the fine slicer on my grater, so I got round thin slices, not julienne slices)
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl with a good pinch of s+p. Toss the chicken chunks in the marinade until evenly coated, then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes - longer if possible.
2. Spoon the flesh of the avocado into a bowl, add all the other ingredients and a pinch of s+p, and mash well with a fork. you can make this really smooth or rustic and chunky. Have a taste to check the seasoning.
3. Place your shredded carrot in a bowl and add all the other ingredients. Add a splash of the oil and red wine vinegar, and you can add some mint leaves if you like (i didn't because i didn't have any!).
4. When your ready to cook your meat, get a griddle pan on medium heat, add your chicken peices and cook for 5-7 minutes. If you want warm bread, use another pan to heat your flat bread.
All you need to do, is bring all these yummy ingredients to the table, and start ripping your bread and filling it with the dip, salad and chicken.