Thursday, June 20

growing up

  


Before my eyes they have blossomed, fleeting moments of nostalgia already infiltrating my mind, casting memories back when they were smaller, acknowledging that I am no longer a mother of wee babes.  Independence increases, their demands alter, what they need from me is constantly changing and so to is what they can provide for the family.

Some reflections on the past few weeks fuelled by tension, repetition, un-attempted tasks and job just not completed had me in a spin.  I needed to re-collabrate this family, to assess my children's abilities and just what they were capable of.  My children have always been requested to help around the house and be responsible for various aspects of themselves and their belongings.  Yet, with the addition of school, kinder and mornings that are no longer fluid and lasting, it was time to formalise my expectation and create something tangible and visual.

A formal "jobs chart" has been created.  Each child has their set of tasks expected of them for each day, which takes into account where they are going and any extra activities they may have on.  Tasks differ between my children, taking into account their age and jobs which include learning and development prompt me to remember it will take time to learn a new skill.

Making beds, setting the table, collecting the mail, unstacking the dishwasher and putting away toys are common jobs feature prominently on their jobs chart.  More intricate tasks like meal preparation, sweeping and sorting a marvel at assisting with fine motor development.  We potter along, doing our jobs, in tandem, conversation flowing.   A small packet of stickers near by for immediate reward, and a tally at the end of each week to determine if any other congratulatory signifiant offering is required.  Pride on their faces evident of a good days work.

The effects have been profound, noticeable and rewarding for the entire family.  Seeing my chidden growing up, but also being an active part of the family and helping in small but signifiant moments of the day is just a joy to watch.

How do you incorporate jobs and tasks into your children's day?



5 comments:

  1. They have such lovely bedrooms, B.

    We attempt the chore chart too. It's a bit of a disaster actually, but we stick at it. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are very familiar with doing "jobs" and while we don't have a formal chart, there are things they know they are expected to do, and at the mention of "have you done your jobs?" At certain times of day, they know what they need to do (things like bed making, bag packing, and picking up after themselves, or putting shoes away and socks in the laundry). I have always wanted to do a chart but I doubt how consistent I would be!
    It's amazing seeing them grow, and cope with more responsibility, and I think giving them age appropriate things to do helps to give them a sense of place, and purpose in the family too!
    Enjoy your weekend lovely xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are very familiar with doing "jobs" and while we don't have a formal chart, there are things they know they are expected to do, and at the mention of "have you done your jobs?" At certain times of day, they know what they need to do (things like bed making, bag packing, and picking up after themselves, or putting shoes away and socks in the laundry). I have always wanted to do a chart but I doubt how consistent I would be!
    It's amazing seeing them grow, and cope with more responsibility, and I think giving them age appropriate things to do helps to give them a sense of place, and purpose in the family too!
    Enjoy your weekend lovely xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a wonderful mumma! Always trying to make tasks around our home child friendly. Sometimes things take a lot longer but I have to hang in there as the learning is so great. Bravo lovely soul x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful post. We must be at the same stage, because I realised the other day that I'm not parenting to babies anymore. What worked earlier, doesn't work now. We have upped the responsibilities here too, but I'm yet to create a jobs list that they can see.

    Thanks for the inspiration. Your childrens' rooms are adorable! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by....I love knowing your thoughts and comments... xx