Tuesday, September 13
Rose's upside down pear & almond cake
You know I love to bake....and I'm slowly getting back into baking since being on holidays and NOT baking a thing.....I don't even think I had withdrawals....what with all the eating I was doing to keep me busy....
....anyway, when I had friends and family coming around last weekend my mind was thinking of which cake to bake and I remembered a gorgeous cake my friend Rose had made for me a while back when I went to visit. I loved it so much, I insisted I have a copy of the recipe....
...now about 6 months later, I finally got to making it myself and blogging the recipe so you all can make it...and it's unbelievably easy for such a show stopping cake!
1 tbs brown sugar
200g unsalted butter, softened
200g caster sugar
3 large eggs, lightly whisked
200g almond meal
2 tbs self-raising flour
2 tbs blanched almonds
1 large pear, skin on
custard, cream or ice-cream to serve.
What to do...
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees
2. Line a 23cm round springform cake tine with baking paper and sprinkle the brown sugar over the base.
3. Beat the soft butter and sugar until pale (you can use beaters or a kitchen aid). Then add the eggs, one at a time until all incorporated.
4. Stir in the almond meal and flour and set the bowl aside.
5. Cut the pear lengthways into 1cm thick slices and leave the stalk attached. Arrange the pears over the brown sugar and spinkly the blanched almonds in the gap.
6. Spoon the cake mixture ever so gentley over the pears and then spread with a spatula making sure your not dislodging your beautifully arranged pears.
7. bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes and set aside for 15minutes before turning upside down on a plate.
Serve warm or cold with custard, cream or ice-cream or if you are wicked all three!
There is something a bit retro about an upside cake, dont you think?? goes perfect with my thrifted tablecloth I scored for $1!
Thankyou Rose for sharing this delicious recipe with me!