Friday, June 14

the weekend {& cake}






Oh the weekend is here...Hooray!  I love the approach of Friday afternoon, the cheerfulness that only Friday afternoon school pick up in imminent rain cannot diminish because it's that time that the weekend truely begins.  Two little days that bring so much joy, and the night before that is even considered part of the weekend for the hair gets let down, the kids are allowed to stay up a little later having learnt the term "not a school night"....

...Not much is planned for the weekend, we'll do a lazy Saturday breakfast, head out and about! Oh we have tickets for Jesus Christ Superstar Spectacular and I'm kinda excited about a night out sans kids with my man.  Sunday is free as a bird and that's how I like it.

What are you up to this weekend?

Oh here's a fabulous cake recipe...I never thought of mixing carrots with lime.  Turns out to be quite the surprise combination!  It's a winner in my book.

What you need....


200 g butter, softened
240 g caster sugar
4 eggs
180 g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
200 g carrot, grated (that’s 2 medium carrots)
60 g coconut, shredded
60 g walnuts, crushed
zest and juice of one orange (or lemon)

Icing:
200g cream cheese
100g icing sugar
juice one lime (more if your icing needs more liquid)

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Grease and line a 23cm springform cake tin. Place butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric beater until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Sift in flour and baking powder then mix to combine. Add carrots, coconut, zest, walnuts and orange juice. Mix to combine and pour into cake pan. Bake for 40 - 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Let cool in the tin for 10 minutes then move to a rack. Let the cake cool completely

To make the icing combine the softened cream cheese, icing sugar and lime juice and spread over cake.

Enjoy
xx











1 comment:

  1. Oh YUM! Anything with lemon is a winner in my book. I'm definitely going to try this. It just so happens that I have lots of lemons AND carrot!

    My hubby is away this weekend, and so it's just me and the boys. Last night was Food Club (we did gluten-free which was awesome!), and not much else planned (the way I like it too!) They're sleeping right now, and I'm enjoying the peace and quiet! Must go and wake them up. Time for an outing! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by....I love knowing your thoughts and comments... xx