Friday, June 18

an heirloom in the making.....

My son received a handmade birthday present from his Great Aunty this week - a beautiful cross-stitch framed professionally with such stunning colours.  This is made by my Aunty on my fathers side and this part of my family has strong Latvian heritage with my father migrating to Australia with his parents after the war.  These striking patterns and combinations are very traditional to our Latvian culture and I have grown up with these types of beautiful creations around me in the form of wall hangings, table clothes, napkins, pillows, doilies, bookmarks and even on clothing.  And not to mention all the yummy Latvian food - but that will have to wait for another time...







I was really overwhelmed when I saw what my Aunty had created and it now takes pride of place in the hall way right next to my son's bedroom door - this way, everyone can enjoy it!  I truely do think that this is an heirloom in the making as one day I will pass this onto my son when he is an adult and explain the meaning and heritage behind it.



It is just so beautiful and when I called my Aunty to thank her she told me that she made it with love...

Hoping you all have a wonderful weekend....

1 comment:

  1. How stunning. And how wonderful to have an actual heritage to draw on and cultivate for your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by....I love knowing your thoughts and comments... xx