Friday, March 30

to the mother with no name...







The other day I took my daughter swimming.  A weekly occurrence.

I sit near the pool and watch her.

There are other children in the group and I know their names but not the names of their mothers.

We say hello each week and exchange simple chit chat.

But this week was different.  I sat near Luke's mum and said "how are you?"

...."oh it's just so hard....this mother hood thing...I feel like I'm forever chasing my tail...I'm getting sick...there are never enough hours in the day...I feel guilty...need time for me...I'm exhausted...I can't keep up.  Luke is my youngest and I feel he's dragged from pillar to post with the demands of my other two children.... I want to just stop and play with him, but there is always something else to do...I feel so guilty....guilty.  All. The. Time."

All I did was sit and listen.  She needed to vent and I was that anonymous face that she could say it too...

So to the mother whose name I do not know...this is for you.


When you thought I wasn't looking


When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator, and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favourite cake for me and I learned that little things can be special things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick, and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you give you time and money to help people who had nothing, and I learned that those who have something should give to those who don't.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I felt you kiss me good night and I felt loved and safe.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw how you handled responsibilities, even when you didn't feel good, and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw tears come from your eyes and I learned that I sometimes things hurt, but it's alright to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you cared and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked at you and wanted to say, "Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking'.


--

It was a few months ago that a friend showed me this verse....at a time when I really needed it.

Now I'm passing it on...do you have someone who needs it too??

xx


18 comments:

  1. awww, that is beautiful, you made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me cry too, I needed that, and I know some others who need it too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh Brenda!! Goosebumps, what a beautiful post, thank you for posting this ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. So gorgeous Brenda. So gorgeous.

    Sometimes actions speak louder than words.

    I think I needed to hear it too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous. I'm just back from the swimming pool myself, and this is exactly what I need to hear. Off to make pizza and hug my kids. Have a great weekend! DEb xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is precious and I feel like printing it out and posting on the back of all the public toilets in our local shopping centre, the lending desk at the children's section of the public library...you name it.

    Thank you for sharing it with others for this first 'Post Of The Month' club by the sea.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful Bren. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every mother needs to hear this, repeatedly when she is feeling down! Thanks for this pick-me-up, stopping by from POTM, Femme au Foyer

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so touching and so needed. Motherhood is the hardest and most important and rewarding job around. Sometimes we get tired, lose our way, wonder if we are messing it all up - and words like this are just what we need to get back on our feet. Thank you for sharing this lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so touching and so needed. Motherhood is the toughest and most rewarding and important job. Sometimes we get tired, lose our way, wonder if we are messing it all up. Words like this are just what we need to get back on our feet. Thank you for sharing such a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This really strikes a chord. Thanks so much for sharing it. Popping in from POTM club.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so heartwarming...you truly would have made that mother's day just listening to her :)
    Thanks for sharing Brenda.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brenda thanks for sharing this, the road to motherhood is surely a hard one and it feels nice to read those words! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. a lovely gentle reminder. so touching, thank you
    JX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Brenda, I'm stopping by from the POTM Club. This is precious. As the mum of our 3 littlies, I appreciate it immensely. Thankyou. J x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Brenda, I'm stopping by from the POTM Club. This is precious. As the mum of our 3 littlies, I appreciate it immensely. Thankyou. J x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Popping over via Felicity's POTMC - what a wonderful post to contribute. Pleasure to meet you here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I needed this today, Bren. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by....I love knowing your thoughts and comments... xx