Sunday, April 1

read, reading and next





My reading challenge to read 50 pages a day is going well.  well, mostly.  Some days it's way too hard to stick to, but others it's fine.  The best thing is that I'm making sure I dedicated small little fragments of time to get some much needed reading done.  So what's been on my list?  Well here's a snap of what book I've just finished, what I'm reading now, and what's next...

Read - The Mothers' Group by Fiona Higgins - a compelling book about six women and their journey through the first year of motherhood as they come together in the form of a mothers' group, each with their own story, their own expectations and perhaps their own judgements of each other and how they are going to parent their infant.   The book is being released nationally on the 1st of April, but I got an early copy as I went to the book launch and got to meet the author (who has three children under five!) and discuss her journey in writing this book.


Reading now - The bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad.  A man in Afghanistan defies authorities and sells books to the people of Kabul.  He is arrested and the book travels through the journey of him, the turmoil of his country during the rein of the Taliban and the extreme differences in culture, tradition and the treatment of men and women.


Next - Room by Emma Donoghue.  This book was recommended by a colleague.  All I know is that it's about a five year old boy, Jack is locked in a room with his mother.  Why?  

What book have your just read?
What are you reading now and what's next on your list??


4 comments:

  1. I read Room in the January holidays- very interesting. QUite compelling. The other 2 look good, i'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your reading is going well. So is mine, and I'm loving re-discovering the joy of reading!

    I'm now reading The Help, and just loved the movie. It was only recently that we watched it, but I loved it THAT much...

    Those books sound good. I'll be reading some middle eastern ones next with The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

    Can't wait!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. I'm getting into blogging again after a bit of a break so it's nice to read your post today...
    I've just finished The Sense of An Ending by Julian Barnes - fantastic.
    And I'm now reading Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. I don't know if it's going to meet my very high expectation considering all the talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read 'room' in 2 days !! its so amazing!! i also recently read and loved 'nights in the asylum', you should look out for that one too (both available at our local library) x

    and jacks kinder send that poem out with each years portfolio it does make you think x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by....I love knowing your thoughts and comments... xx