I promised a few posts back that I would share a great spiced Christmas cookie recipe that I have adapted from an English cookbook....
We made another batch yesterday morning - and just as I was about to bake them, I realised that the sugar packet was on the bench - unopened!! Oh dear! Roll all that mixture back up and somehow I incorporated the sugar and started again! Oh well, the kids got the use the cookie cutters AGAIN!
Here's what you'll need;
350g plain flour
2 tsp mixed spice (or use a tsp cinnamon and a tsp of nutmeg)
1/2 tsp bi-carb soda
100g butter, softened
175g light or brown sugar
4 tbs maple syryp
1. sift flour, spices and soda into a bowl. rub in the butter until mixture in like breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar (don't forget the sugar!!!)
2. Add the egg, syrup and mix all together to make the dough.
3. Roll out on a floured surface until 1cm thick.
4. cut out using cookie cutters and place on a baking tray and refrigerate for 1 hour
5. bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown - allow to cool then transfer onto a wire rack.
Biscuits will keep for 5 days in an air tight container!! Perfect to make if you'll be having visitors streaming in in the next few days!